The Analect IX.28: "The wise are free from perplexities; the virtuous from anxiety; and the bold from fear."

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Singapore Rebel!

I just finished watching Singapore Rebel on my computer. it's a half an hour film about Singapore's political scene and people, particularly, Mr Chee Soon Juan, who spoke up against the government.

Actually, I didn't know this movie existed until i saw it at a random blog. I also didn't know that Mr Chee is more prominant than i used to think he was. From what i saw in the movie, besides entering the jail a few times, he even created a public commotion when he attempted a peaceful public speaking session at the Istana Park. Before he started his speech, many policemen came to escort Mr Chee to a van while several voices in the background shouted for his release. I would say that such commotion is very rare in Singapore.

I wonder if things will be different now that the government wants people to speak up.

even though the movie is about this "rebellious" Singaporean, to me, I feel that his wife is a greater character than he is.

I believe it is never easy to be the wife of a "radical" guy who constantly seeks "trouble" instead of living by an iron bowl. Its worst that the wife has to take care of 3 children and be faced with the pressure of law suits, fines, the public attention...etc...! If the husband had been like other overseas graduates who care more for securing a good job and earning big bucks, the family would be living in a high level of material comfort that most Singaporeans desire.

It's getting a bit out of the point now... but i was just wondering why didn't the wife leave him?

i would have left if i'm the wife. if everyday feels like a war, i don't see anything that can motivate me to wake up each morning.

1 comment:

Indeterminacy said...

I paged down to the bottom of your blog and saw that photograph of you. Wow!

If you have any loose photos lying around, please send one to me, I may just write a story about one at my blog. (indeterminacy at gmail dot com).