The Analect IX.28: "The wise are free from perplexities; the virtuous from anxiety; and the bold from fear."

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Saturday Night At Work

While Sian, Weelillad and several others were having fun at D's house, I was slogging away at my workplace. I am a part-time banquet waitress.

Tonight's function is a celebration organized by an international association. I didn't managed to catch its name because they showed a logo which I'm unfamiliar with. Anyway, I had fun at work.

Initially, I was told that I would be a drink server but I wonder what went wrong, I ended up serving food and drinks. Still, tonight's workload is low because I have 2 India Indians to help me with the heavy utensils. They are very kind. One of them is a first-timer and he comes from Southern Indian (a place in India that has the word "port" in its name). The other guy has pretty eyes... but I can't communicate with him 'cos his accent is too strong. He can pronounce "ten" in a super peculiar way that the other India Indian and I are unable to imitate. From the way he talks, it seems like he has super tongue twisting skills.. perhaps he can even tie knot on a cherry stem with his tongue!

Besides that, I watched several performances such as Japanese cultural dance, Malay dance, Chinese Orchestra, adults monkeying on stage, guest fooling around in a song guessing game... It seems like everyone can guess all the Thai songs, Japanese songs, Malaysia songs..but no one can guess the song title for "Singapura". It's quite sad. Even I can't.

The Japanese dance is very impressionable. I remembered watching that same dance on 3 separate occassions - (1)+(2)Japanese Summer Festival on 2 years and (3)The Chingay Possession. It's not that the Japanese have only "that" dance. It's just that the dance is so widely known that many Japanese can perform. The Japanese dance steps seemed to derive from their daily activities in the past, actions like ploughing field, shading themselves from the sun, helping people..etc. It feels so much like their "national dance". Contrast that to Singapore's "We will get there" dance, "Reach out for the skies" dance, and not forgetting the infamous flush-the-toilet action in our National Workout. *sigh*

No comments: