The Analect IX.28: "The wise are free from perplexities; the virtuous from anxiety; and the bold from fear."

Monday, September 12, 2005

There's no limit to stupidity

Albert Einstein said this "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

This leads me to think about the comments I make in class. I think everyone knows that in my school, there's this thing call "class participation." I'm not an enthusiastic participant...normally, I am very passive when it comes to speaking up in class.

Firstly, I am incapable of thinking on my feet.

Secondly, I am afraid that I might say something stupid that makes the whole class think that I am indeed stupid. Heard of the saying... "'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"?

Thirdly, my memory is very bad. The question posted one moment ago can be forgotten in the next. Hence sometimes I find it hard to follow the discussion in class 'cos I forgot what was previously said that ignited the discussion. Or perhaps, my class tend to digress so much that I can't keep track. =O)

Lastly, I can't seem to understand the question sometimes. It's like I can't find the bone among the fats. =O)

So far, it's been almost 4 weeks of school. School's not bad...except that I had made some very stupid comments in just the first 4 weeks!!!! =O) Following that, I also realized that I've found myself one or two faithful followers of my stupid comments. (Followers who will gladly wait for me to finish my piece and then say things like "Oh, I disagree!")

One example from my ethic class:
Prof: "We know of the saying, 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do.' Supposedly your company send you to set up a business in Africa. In order to do so, you have to 'bribe' the officials...would you bribe? "

*Prof called me to answer the question because I was seated closest to where he was standing*

Me: "If I really want to set up a business in Africa, I would bribe. Why? 'Cos I am just 1 company. I can't go against the 'bribery system' of the country."

Indian guy: "No, I disagree. If you bribe, it means that you're encouraging the 'bribery system.' even though you cannot stop the system, you should not encourage."

I kept quiet because prof took over the discussion. But somehow, I felt that I was the most unethical person in class and I was so stupid to say such things in an ETHICS class. Then again, in rationalizing my answer, if I am tasked to set up business in Africa, and if my company seriously wants to set up the business in Africa no matter what, then I would have to do it right??? else i could lose my job! If i lose my job in this way, would i get any help from the state if i cannot find money to pay for loans? would i be rewarded for my ethical behaviour in any way or be assisted financially should i lose my job for being so ethical? I know it is no excuse to bribe just because it could be a common practice... still, I do not believe people to be so 高尚 in the business scene.. I believe that people who still remain in business are people willing to tread on the gray area.

Of course, in the first place, I would not get myself in such a situation since I never aspire to climb that high on the corporate ladder. =O) This kind of ethical dilemma would remain a hypothetical situation for me. keke

Btw, I understand that for a Singaporean to go into bribery or engage in "关系" kind of business, the Singaporean can be charged by the state even if the "crime" is not committed in Singapore. so we as Singaporeans, have to be extra careful in our dealings.

Another of my stupid answer in ethics class:
Prof:"You've read the 3 case studies in the textbook. What are the similarities in the 3 cases?"

*the cases are about commercial bribery. (1)bribe the custom officers for you clear the customs faster because you're running late for an important meeting (2)bribe the logistics people for them to unload your goods faster so that you can use them for your business dealings (3) bribe your client's representative so that you'll clinch the deal*

People in class gave many answers and all of them seem quite correct. but somehow the prof seemed unsatisfied, so he made me answer the question. (probably because my name tag wasn't blocked by people seated in front of me =O( )

Me: "In all three cases, there are incentives to bribe!"

Right after I said that, I was amused by my own answer that I started giggling to myself. I know my answer is definitely correct but it's downright stupid!!!! *long pia*

2 comments:

~~WiNdZ~~ said...

hahahaha~~ actually ur first answer is damn realistic... but sorry, this is singapore we're talking about, so itz a politically wrong statement to make... =P in london we had the same discussion but we didn't come to any conclusion in the end...

as for ur second answer, in a way itz quite smart cos it addresses the fundamentals of the issue but too bad that others can't see the essence of simplicity =P

PF said...

hehe.. you guys made me day! How i wish i can take classes with u! whaha