The Analect IX.28: "The wise are free from perplexities; the virtuous from anxiety; and the bold from fear."

Saturday, December 30, 2006

开到荼縻

Not sure if you read 亦舒's 开到荼縻(靡)-- the last two words are read as "tu mi" . the phase came from a poem written by a 宋代诗人,王淇。



春暮游小园

一从梅粉褪残妆,涂抹新红上海棠。
开到荼縻花事了,丝丝夭棘出莓墙。

[译文]梅花零落,像少女卸去妆一样时,海棠花开了,它就像少女刚刚涂抹了新红一样艳丽。不多久,待荼縻开花以后,一春的花事已告终结,惟有酸枣树的丝丝叶片却又长出于莓墙之上了。



I don't normally read this kind of high-level chinese literature. I first chanced upon the words, 花事了, and thought that these three words are rather interesting. Then i found out that the original phase was 开到荼縻花事了. 荼縻 is a kind of flower (some sort of rose) that blooms later than every flower such that when 荼縻 blooms, it marks the end of spring.

I'm mentioning this because from
花事了, i learnt about 开到荼縻花事了 and its full poem, then from there i came upon 开到荼靡 which is the first 亦舒 work that i read. (you can find the story here)

I would say it is a twisted love story. Not too sure when it was written but the theme of the story is rather modern, at least more engaging than mediacorp's drama. I was totally absorbed into the story for four hours and ended up being almost half an hour late for a dinner appointment. I like the way 亦舒 developed the characters, in fact i feel that the main character, 韵娜is so so real. She's also an accountant in the story! =p Reading this story is as good as watching an entire series of 偶像剧。 I'm glad i came upon this story before the year ends... if i didn't remember wrongly this is my first and last complete chinese story that i read in 2006.

Not sure if i'll be blogging anymore in the next two days. so here's my new year wish list:

I wish that everyone in my family and extended family and people who love me and people i love are healthy and happy.
I hope i can completely get rid of my gastric problem. It means cutting down on cold desserts (like my new-found favourite 杨枝干露), ice-coffee, HL milk, ice fruity snacks like grapes/watermelon/jackfruit/mango etc....
I also hope that i'll meet people who can ignite the passion for life in me so that i can feel younger at heart.
hmm, if i can wish further, i would hope to work under inspiring mentors in the later half of 2007. -nod-

while new year resolutions are hard to keep, i'll see that i instill more discipline in myself in 2007 (this is one of my resolutions too! =p)
2. To be on time for appointments
3. To exercise regularly (preferably be great in a sport)
4. Develop my other senses instead of relying on eye power most of the time
5. To develop a Pak-Buay-See spirit


Happy New Year!

No comments: