A First Time Waitress
I started work yesterday at a five star hotel! *heehee* I've been quite excited about becoming a waitress except when I get scared thinking too much about the possible errors I may commit. In case you're wondering, I applied to be a banquet waitress around the end of last month. The employment process was quite bo-chup. The company neither put me through a job interview nor did they mind about my zero work experience. They simply gave me a less than 2-hour training session (with a bunch of noisy, distracted PRCs studying in polytechnics). No notes were given at all and I didn't have pen nor paper. At the training, I typed like mad on my handphone and stored those little pieces of information as drafted smses. Following the "training", the company congratulated me for joining their big family.
Actually, what amazes me is their confidence in freshies like me since they expect me to start work as soon as my assignment comes. I mean, I can't remember many things taught at the training session... like how to cut fish, portion food, serve pudding, hold both fork and spoon on the same hand, clear dishes, pour wine etc...! and they expect people like me to serve at a five star hotel?!?!??!?! *No wonder there are many complains about the service standard in Singapore*
Anyway, I was quite pleased with my performance yesterday. I was a drink server (those who serve tea, coke, orange, ice water) for six tables. Unfortunately or fortunately, I forgot where two of my tables were situated, so i ended up serving only 4. *wide grin* Also, since last night's function was for a church celebration, I didn't have to serve wine! *yeah!!!* It may seem like my workload has decreased a lot.. but i was worked to the bones. Many of the customers like having 3 kinds of drinks at the same time - plain water, coke/orange, chinese tea - and they like to make the request one by one! argh...!!! I can't possibly ask the whole table "who wants orange?" because they are not school kids. And many times, I had to run to the bar counter to get empty glasses 'cos both their assigned glasses were already filled. This also meant that I had more glasses to clear at the end of the day.
There was also a perverted middle-age guy who kept winking at me each time I walked to the back of the ballroom to fetch some orders. Dirty old man!!
Besides that, I made several mistakes.
1) I forgot who asked for a spoon. When I finally found the time to get the spoon, I can't find the polite old man.
2) I also forgot who asked for orange without ice. I went to approach a table which I think asked for the orange but all of them denied.
3) I poured hot water into many tea cups all the while thinking that I was pouring chinese tea. hahahhaa... I only realised it when I poured it into an almost empty tea cup and seeing that it was plain water. *I ignored that error lah. The girl who drank from the tea cup is like a camel! and I wonder why she keeps staring at me, my skirt, my watch, my shoes etc...!*
4) I didn't know what to do when a table of customers complained to me that a fly had been stopping on their glasses. I was like "erh.. what to do?" I can't possibly chase it away as if I was at a coffee shop. I know a fly has don't know how many thousands of eyes and it's impossible to catch it. Then one of the customers used a tissue and push the fly into the glass... I think it drowned in coke.
5) I poured super hot water into a glass when a customer ask for warm water. hahahhaha!! erh, actually I didn't think of mixing it with ice water before passing to the customer till I was reminded. =O)
yeap.. that's about all my mistakes. At least I didn't spill or break anything! =O)
My body is aching like mad. My fingers ache from pouring drinks, my waist from having to stretch many times to get cups or glasses, my calves ache from too much walking, my arms ache from carrying heavy glasses and flasks. I guess I'm seriously very weak. I see girls who have smaller build than me carrying about 12 glasses on 1 round tray supported by one hand... whereas for me, if I put 6 glasses on 1 round tray, my wrist feels like giving way. argh!!!!
I wonder how I am to serve a meal in future. In addition, I just realized that my weight dropped again. I'm currently below 45kg!!!! argh! I need to gain some weight, build up my wrist power and train my biceps. =O) hehe... any suggestions?
btw, do you like the song? or do you find it irritating? =O)
No comments:
Post a Comment