The Analect IX.28: "The wise are free from perplexities; the virtuous from anxiety; and the bold from fear."

Thursday, August 18, 2005

I met a net friend yesterday

In one of the older entries, I mentioned about some net friends I met over the mIRC. I finally met up (face-to-face) with one of them. He's in his early 30s and is some sort of professional earning lots of money, driving his own car and staying in his own apartment.

We had a simple dinner at Dan Ryan's. Dan Ryan's looks like those old American bars you see on telelvision. It has many wooden frames with pictures/posters on its walls and even a huge moose head above one of the booths. (A booth has 1 table and 2 rows of cushioned seats facing each other) That place is expats-infested... and somehow these expats seem to give me an unpleasant feeling. When I caught some of them looking at me, I felt that they were sort of looking-down on me or perhaps they were thinking that I don't belong there. Some of them even pointed my table out to their friends. *shrugs*

My friend was quite affected, it seemed,even though he didn't admit. =O) Btw, he looks indian. =O) Probably because of that he's quite self-conscious when he's around caucasians.

I find it difficult to talk casually with him, just like how I can't open my heart to my many acquaintances. Nothing much happened. He told me about his life now and in the past, and a little about his gf who is studying overseas. Somehow, I wonder if life in my thirties will be like his in the sense that I would drive my own car, live my own apartment, go on overseas trips frequently, carry myself with an air of dignity, speak politely and be friendly with waitresses or strangers etc... hahaha how exciting! I'm already looking forward to growing even older!

I think many people have misgivings about meeting up with net friends. I do worry about net friends' intentions. Then again, I go by gut feeling and mood. =O) I guess recently I happen feel bored and lonely. Since there's someone new around, and he doesn't seem to have bad intentions, (esp when he has so much to lose if he does something stupid) I think there's no harm meeting up. So far, he's the fifth or so net friend I've met. Among them all, he's the oldest and the only non-chinese. =O)

I brought my camera along yesterday but I didn't want to ask him for a picture. He seemed so cautious about me. hahhahaa.... I don't want to freak him out.

No comments: