Many people may think accounting is a boring subject. We don't discover new things like scientists do, we don't create beautiful art pieces that people marvel at, we don't create anything tangible, we're more like 'historians' that record what already has happened.
A prof once asked my class, "Is accounting a science or an art?"
How exactly do you define a science? How exactly do you define an art?
I feel accounting is quite a science because we work based on certain principles and frameworks. We form expectations and investigate when things do not fall within our expectations. On the other hand, its quite an art. Learning to classify items, reasoning why certain principles should or should not be applied, how best to measure etc.
mmm... a friend once commented that I'm quite passionate about accounting. When i told her i felt like tendering, her response was "are you sure you dislike what you're doing now?"
Come to think of it, I don't dislike what I am doing. I just hate how things are done. Perhaps like a prof once said 'Shit flows downwards'. wonder if I'll ever climb to a position so that I'll be the one shitting instead.
Anyway, I've been slacking in office. I have three weeks of unassigned time. I spent the first week watching online movies, doing minimal web-based learning, surfing web, taking unofficial breaks etc... Next week I'll probably be on leave. Third week will probably do a stock take.
After that, I seem to have to work six days a week till around Apr. Hope I'll survive lah.
and... hope I'll accumulate enough OT hours to go on at least a month's leave after Apr. =D
Wondering if you guys know about this. I saw on the news that seven non-profit organisations are recently made to go through audits. One of them is city harvest. wah seh, that church actually receives around SGD 25 million of revenue per year! madness!!!! I'm not a church goer, never bothered to find out how churches get their funds from. When i heard from a colleague that the church members had to contribute 1-tenth of their monthly income to the church fund, i was so taken aback. Imagine, ... 23,000 members and 1-tenth of everyone's income!!!!
money goes everywhere but not into my pocket.
then, i saw another news that civil servants getting pay raise AGAIN!
mm... v random thoughts here. Anyway, Happy Deepavali!
rest well and chiong ar!
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment